Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Running on empty

Running on empty

If you haven’t noticed I will fill you in. It seems that I’ve hit a sort of writer’s block. I’ve been racking my mind to come up with things to write about the last few days. I perused the engineering magazines that came in last week thinking I would find some ideas but nothing interested me enough to write about. If there is anyone interested in doing a guest blog let me know.

We have a project I just started working on at Byers this week. It could be an interesting project if we ever get enough design parameters to get going on it. But due to our confidentiality agreement I can’t really write much about it. Suffice to say that a rather large international company has bought out another company and is in the process of moving the manufacture of the company’s product to the US. Our part in all this is to reverse engineer the handling systems to US standards. Because of the scope and the time limits involved we will be bringing in outside engineering to assist.

One thing that is going on here that might interest only me is the possibility of major computer and network infrastructure upgrades. Our in house IT head has been discussing our options with Dell. This will be the 1st time since the Digital Equipment days that we are looking to one vendor for all our IT needs. Most of the PCs here don’t need to be CAD capable but with these upgrades the basic PCs will be more powerful that our current CAD stations. The workstations will be Dell Precisions built up with good quadro video cards and 4GB ram. Like I said, I’m excited! The one thing I’m not excited about is the fact that management is leaning towards Vista over XP. Their reasoning is that we will have to make the change eventually so we might as well do it now. Being a guy who reads all the computer magazines and listens to the tech podcasts I can say true fully that this scares the crap out of me.

Is there anyone out there using Vista? What’s the verdict?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff, I've touched on Vista a couple times, but Mike Puckett (mikescadblog) has a great post on it. check it out.

    http://www.mikescadblog.com/2008/03/solidworks-vist.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    Thanks for the link to Mike's blog. I take it from your comment that you have a blog also? What's the url?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff,

    You can get a bunch of the links to SW CAD blogs from my blog. Josh is SolidSmack. You're not alone out there.

    Anyway, about Vista, it requires more memory, but runs slightly faster. You give up some things like the preview in the Open dialog, and some others. It has some minor usability upgrades, but nothing worth all the hype.

    Here's a blog post about SW08 + Vista:

    http://dezignstuff.com/blog/?p=104

    ReplyDelete