Thursday, May 15, 2008

Successful Blogging

Successful Blogging

I received the June PC Magazine the other day and it is another excellent issue. There are 501 tips in this issue that cover everything from cell phones to server setup. You will want to find and purchase this issue, I’m sure you will find something in it that will be of use to you.

Reading the section of tips concerning Blogging I came across tip # 366. Post early – and often. This tip goes on to say that while it’s not a great idea to post simply for the sake of posting, even the best-written blogs have trouble retaining readers with infrequent posts.

Okay, guilty as charged…I will now attempt to repent from my sinful ways. Keep checking this blog as it will be updated at least every other day unless something catastrophic happens to me (or my computers). Another tip says to ask questions in your posts so that the audience will be more apt to participate. So you can expect some questions and I will expect some answers. For example, here is question #1:

In SolidWorks 3 points can define a circle and 3 points can define a plane so why can’t a circle define a plane? Is this a geometry thing or a SolidWorks thing?

I don’t know the answer to this question hopefully someone out there can answer it. I had the need to do this yesterday and I had to fall back to measuring the distance from one of the standard planes to the circle and do an offset plane, it worked in this case but what if the 8 digits that the measure tool shows wasn’t enough?

Have a great day and I’ll see you tonight.

2 comments:

  1. I do this by creating a 3D sketch, and then drawing 2 lines from different points on the circle. Then you can define your plane by the "line and point" method. Just select one of the lines, and the other endpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your suggestion Charles. But I'm still wondering why? There must be a 'mathematical' reason for not being able to use a circle to define a plane...but then again your method seems to prove otherwise.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete