Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday Strangeness

Here’s a strange one:
I used the assembly feature hole wizard on an sub-assembly this morning. I place two sketch points to locate the holes while in the initial command. I then Ctrl-Tabbed back to the main assembly to make sure I was adding the holes on the correct side of the sub-assembly. Everything looked good so I edit the hole wizard sketch to add three more sketch points for all the holes I needed. No problem adding them but when I update I only see the original two holes I added. I played around with a bit but couldn’t get the remaining holes to appear. I finally gave up and did another hole wizard and included all the points I needed and it worked fine. I’m curious as to whether this is the case always or is it another ‘feature’?

Here’s another question for any config/design table experts out there. I have created a working design table that basically just uses some simple calculations to generate different lengths of tubing for use in another assembly. I don’t do configurations with design tables that often so please excuse my ignorance but I need to add back the custom property “description” to the table so that when inserted into a drawing it is more understandable. Is there a way to force SolidWorks to refresh all the parameters not just the newly added ones? If not can you provide me with the proper syntax to do this? I hope that I’m providing enough information for you to see what I’m trying to do.

2 comments:

  1. For the second question, you can add a custom property with the syntax: $PRP@propertyname
    The property name must be spelled correctly and is case sensitive.
    Personally I have saved my custom properties out to another file that can be copied into a design table whenever I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris, I'm well past that project now but you ideal of saving all the custom properties out to a file is excellent.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete