Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Help! I’ve fallen down a hole wizard hole and I can’t get up!

Help! I’ve fallen down a hole wizard hole and I can’t get up!

What is going on all of a sudden with my hole wizard holes? We first discovered this problem a few weeks ago. Here is the situation: We use the legacy hole option with in the wizard, why? Because it seems (based on our limited knowledge) that it is the easiest way to make a hole of a certain known diameter. We have been using the legacy hole for all types of holes such as c’bore, c’sink, etc. The only time we venture from the legacy hole is for threaded holes and if we need to know the proper clearance diameter for a given bolt. No fooling around with number or letter sizes; just type in the diameter you want and BAM! You have a hole. We have used the Hole Wizard in this manner almost since B.S. (Before SolidWorks) and it has worked great except the annotation will sometime include the quantity of hole but most times not. Then the problem started, my co-worker would make a change to the hole diameter and the flat pattern would not update correctly. Move the hole and the flat updated, change the diameter and nothing. We tried everything we could think of to no avail. The only work around was to edit the hole in the flat pattern configuration as well as the default configuration. One hole…two edits!

I posted to the SolidWorks Corp. user forum and got some suggestions from who I would consider a SolidWorks expert but none of the solutions worked. When I uploaded the files in question he was baffled as well. I finally emailed my VAR for some tech support and although very understanding he wasn’t able to pin point the problem either. We met up and discussed the situation some more at the SESWUW. The tech support guy told me that the ‘Legacy’hole was just that…there for legacy purposes and ‘maybe’ not fully supported. This actually made sense to me but now that I think about it, it doesn’t explain why we were just experiencing this all of a sudden. Since that time I’ve ran into the same problem on my install of SolidWorks also. It is true that I can change the hole to another type as a work around but should I have to?

Okay I typed all that to get to this: If I can’t depend on the legacy hole, can someone please advice the best way to model a hole, up to next, of a pre-determined diameter, that might or might not be a ‘standard’ size? And oh by the way I do know that I can check the ‘custom sizing’ box to enter the size but then the hole feature is named something that has nothing to do with the hole I want. I’m thinking that I must have fallen asleep during this portion of my SolidWorks training. Tell me what I'm doing wrong...Please.

Here is the link to the SolidWorks Forum from which you can grab the files to take a look at if you want: Hole Wizard Question

1 comment:

  1. Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was
    extremely long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote
    and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am
    an aspiring blog
    writer but I'm still new to the whole thing. Do you have any points for novice blog writers? I'd genuinely
    appreciate it.

    my web site: View my web page

    ReplyDelete