Friday, June 27, 2008

New Computer is now running but...

I'm posting from the old machine now. It has been an interesting week which is why there have been no new posts. But to let everyone know how it's going here is an update.

The new Dell Precision T3400 is sitting on my desk right next to the old machine it will be replacing. Both computers are currently hooked up to the beautiful new 24" monitor. I can switch back and forth between the two computers with just a push of a button. But I do keep getting confused and moving the wrong mouse or typing on the wrong keyboard. I've been getting everything running on both new machines as I get time. SolidWorks is installed on both and I have a service pack 4.0 download queued up for 10PM tonight. Printer and plotter drivers are installed as well as Foxit PDF editor and Acrobat. Email is working but there are some issues with the wiring in the building which has my machine falling back to 10mb network speeds. Come to find out the new gigabyte switches won't fall back to 100 mb on CAT5 correctly. We verified this by running a 81' CAT6 cable on the floor from the switch to my machine this morning.

There you go, we are up and running but mostly still on the old hardware. At this rate we should be ready to go completely to the new machines by Tuesday...I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment